Promoting youth hockey in New Brighton, MoundsView, St.Anthony and Shoreview MN
Sponsored By:   Meister Bar & Grill - Shoreview - PULLTABS
New Brighton, Mn
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
From IYHA President, Tom Lucarelli:
 
February 9, 2007
 
Hello again,
 
Finally the cold weather has arrived. At this rate we should be able to keep skating outdoors until the fishing opener in May. Well maybe not until the walleyes start biting but why not take advantage of some pick up games on the outdoor rinks.
 
As the season winds down, I hope you have enjoyed watching your Knight become a better skater and hockey player. We all need to keep encouraging the kids to strive for the best and to work on the part of their game that they need to improve upon.
 
For those teams entering districts playoffs – BEST OF LUCK! Skate hard, move the puck and keep your head up.
 
As a reminder: There are five IYHA board positions up for election on April. If you are interested, please consider running. As I have stated before new ideas are always welcome and will keep the Association moving forward.
 
See you at the rink.
 
Tom
 
 
Team News:
 
IRONDALE BANTAM C CONSOLATION CHAMPS!!
 
The SuperRink Super "C" tournament started for the Knights with a tough 2-1 loss to the LaCrescent Lancers who went on to win the tournament. They bounced back in the second game with hard fought battle with Wayzata that was tied 2-2 after 3 periods. In OT Mike O'Keefe scored the game winner to complete his hat trick scoring all 3 of the Knights goals! Then it was on to the Consolation Championship game. Blaine scored first and the Knights were down 2-1 before scoring 4 unanswered goals to win 5-2! Congratulations to the Knights. The players are: **Names removed by IYHA Web Administrator.  Names are listed in original newsletter** 
 
IYHA Board Meetings are open meetings.
Please feel free to come to the meetings. If you wish to have a copy of any information which is distributed at any meeting, please email or call Niki and it will be mailed to you. Upcoming dates for 2005 Board meetings are the
third Thursday of every month at 6:30 p.m. Our meetings have at in the New Brighton Family Service Center.
Next meeting is in 2007: February 15.
NOTE: If you wish to be on the agenda for the meeting, please contact Tom Lucarelli.
 
Lake Region Board Meetings:
Lake Region Hockey meetings are open meetings. Contact Jeanne Falconer for dates and times of the next meetings.
 
 
 
Sponsorships:
Sponsors for teams are listed below. This part of the newsletter will continue throughout the rest of the IYHA season. Please notify Niki Gjere of any additions or corrections. (Please forward information about websites and addresses, etc.) Many thanks to our sponsors!
 
IYHA: **Lake Region Hockey Association**Minnesota Wild** Torri Johnson**
Team Sponsorships:
12UA:       **FujiYa**
Bantam A: **Cub Foods, St. Anthony**Moe’s**
Squirt C:  **Caroline Bell Beckman & Law firm of Jensen, Bell, Converse & Erickson, St. Paul, MN**
Once again, many, many thanks to our sponsors! Please support them!
When you see them, please tell them you are from Irondale Youth Hockey.
 
 
                Irondale Youth Hockey Association (IYHA) Board Members 2006-2007
President           
 
Tom Lucarelli
(2005-2007)
763-792-4710
Vice President
Cheryl Mason
(2006-2008)
651-639-1543 (h)
Treasurer
Tom O’Keefe
(2006-2008)
651-785-0266 (h)
Secretary
Niki Gjere
(2005-2007)
612-273-6439 (w)
651-270-8551 (cell)
612-527-7437 (pager)
Ice Commissioner
Jackie Rog
(2004-2007)
651-636-6978 (h)
Boys Program Coordinator
Mark Mohar
(2005-2008)
651-639-1908 (h)
 
Girls Program Coordinator
Mike Nundahl
(2005-2008)
651-633-8287 (h)
Initiation Coordinator
Bob Gabler
(2006-2009)
651-697-4708 (h)
 
Equipment
Randy Bortot
(2004-2007)
763-784-9557 (h)
952-475-4045 (Work)
Registration
Jeanne Falconer
(2006-2009)
763-458-5946 (cell)
651-486-1235 (w)
 
District Representative
 
Tom Welty
(2004-2007)
763-780-4865 (h)
612-508-4833 (cell)
Non-Board Position:
ACE Coordinator
Tadd Tuomie and Player Development Committee
 
 
Irondale Youth Hockey Association Board Meeting Minutes:
IYHA Meeting: January 18, 2007Note: These minutes have not been approved. They will be reviewed, corrected as needed, and approved at the next regular Board of Directors Meeting.
Meeting called to order by IYHA President Tom Lucarelli at 6:35 p.m. in the New Brighton Family Service Center.
Board of Directors Members Present:                    Tom Lucarelli, Cheryl Mason, Tom O’Keefe, Niki Gjere, Jackie Rog, Mark Mohar, Mike Nundahl, Bob Gabler, Randy Bortot, Jeanne Falconer.
Board of Directors Members Absent:                     Tom Welty.
Guests:                                                                   Tom Johnson, Mark Hentges, John Donovan, Chris Drews, Tim Fredberg, John Dalnes, Torri Johnson, Ray Mularie, Trini Marcouiller, Renae Olesen.
Meeting agenda reviewed, motion to approve as presented(MM) (JF), motion carried. Meeting minutes of November 16, 2006 reviewed, motion to approve (BG) (TO), motion carried.
 
Old Business and guests:
 
Guests: Questions and discussion of fees and costs for the teams / players / families. Initiation families were told the costs would be approximately $400. So far the bills are $585. Early January, Mark Hentges received a billing estimate, from that there were questions which he accumulated from parents. Questions were then sent to Tom O’Keefe with a request for information about the costs and assignment of costs. Player Development is great! Would like to have clarity about other costs.
 
Tom O’Keefe states the Team Treasurers were informed to expect a 50% increase in the fees from last year.
 
At beginning of year we had an estimate for pull tab receipts similar to last year $15,000. To date we have greater than $15,000.
Tournament estimate was $15,000. This year have received a total of $16,500. Cheryl received the report today, preliminary.
What did we budget and what did we get to date. How does this income get filtered into the new billing estimate.
 
Last year we spent money from the reserves, should we put money back into the reserves? How much money do we need to carry forward for the next season?
 
Pull tab money—needs to go back to the kids. Lake Region pays for ice, goalie clinics (ice and coach).  Need to decide how to allocate general monies that are raised. Also need to make sure that income from volunteering (Time and Talent donations) go where the donor wants it to go. Let the Treasurer know it is coming in.
 
Discussion about how billing should occur. There are board costs and unallocated costs. Are these team specific? Are these averaged across the teams? How do we allocate unused ice? Spreading the expenses differently than the revenues. Goalie equipment is allocated to all teams / parents. Is there any funding available for the Player Development Clinics.
 
Ray Mularie: 14U Fees. They are playing out of Spring Lake Park, and believe should have a refund of some of the monies paid.
Torri Johnson: Bantam C fees—the way it is working out, more to play on Bantam C team than Bantam A team This doesn’t seem correct.  Big picture. C Bantams vs. A Bantams questions. Last year—B Bantams $700 per year. This year--$225 per month. Assumed 22% increase. The reality – Plus there is an extra month in there. That is a 61% from last year. The A Bantams have not increased as much last year. Doesn’t make sense why there is a cost increase. .
 
Final information: Action items for the next Board of Directors Meeting:
a.        Average ice costs
b.       Look at fees—how they are assessed
c.        Make sure Tadd is allocated to the teams.
d.       Ray Mularie: questions from the 14U parents about the Registration fees. What happens to the other $55? There was a certain amount after the tryouts left over. Each kid paid $45 for warm-ups. That shouldn’t be taken out of registration fees? They did not use any ice after warm-ups.
 
 
Board of Directors Roundtable:
President: Tom Lucarelli. Deferred t later.
 
Vice President: Cheryl Mason. Tournaments are completed, we are up approximately $10,000 from last year. Pancake breakfast this weekend. Schwan’s fundraiser—if one team does really well will credit it back. Grand Rios wants to be host hotel—they will give us a donation; will send volunteers, will give us rooms for raffle, etc.
 
Secretary: Niki Gjere. Newsletter deadline is February 1st.  
 
Treasurer: Tom O’Keefe: Done previously..
 
Boys Program Coordinator: Mark Mohar. C Bantams placed 2nd in Edison Tournament. Consolation in the Super Rink Tournament. Doesn’t have access to email at work; cannot always respond at work. Guaranteed gate tournaments—two of our teams are in tournaments. We will be okay this year, but the tournament will get a slap on the wrist. Hermantown and Wadena.
 
Girls Program Coordinator: Mike Nundahl. 12U A will play in Minnesota Hockey Day on Saturday. Will have have the girls possibly play at the last girls High School hockey game.
 
Initiation Program Coordinator: Bob Gabler. Have had a number of controlled scrimmages going on. The skills clinics have helped the A and B teams. Last year we struggled with Washburn, and we were competitive. Raffle—February 2nd Wonderful prizes. Hoping to raise approximately $8000. Little Chippers:will be unlikely to sell all of the tickets required by the Wild, so will drop the Little Chippers. Have worked with the High School—on the 27th will play in between periods.
 
Ice Commissioner: Jackie Rog. Will continue to sell the open ice. Irondale High School asked if we could have a free admission for the kids. Checking with State High School league rules, etc.
 
District Representative: Tom Welty. Absent. Report had been sent in previously.
 
Registration Coordinator: Jeanne Falconer. 264 registered.
 
Equipment Manager: Randy Bortot. No report.
 
President: Tom Lucarelli. Thank you to the guests for showing up. Went to a January 4th President’s meeting. The District is looking for a District Wide waiver policy. There will be specific guidelines—you cannot field an A team and have a legitimate A player; excess of goalies; deadline on the waivers to prevent players from jumping around too much; Minnesota Hockey is pushing for a 2-3 day a week hockey team—calling it a Rec hockey team with no checking. More low keyed, get away from the checking. Teams—when you get to the State Playoffs—bigger associations will have a AA and smaller will have A level. Similar to High School.
 
Direction of the Association.
·          Would like to see our players be dressed in sweats and tops that match—assists in recruitment and is consistent at all levels.
·          Skills—everybody is getting a lot out of the skills sessions.
·          Fundraising: we need to do fundraising. However, would like to see the fundraising that we do gets presented to the board prior to it occurring. Helpful to not compete. People get sick of fundraisers; go to the same people; and we need to do them—need to coordinate.
·          Registration: need to look at the costs—if we have to get more up front, then will work out.
·          There are kids that are playing in the wrong Association—they should be playing with us. Should that Board be notifying us? Will continue with discussion.
·          Need more dialogue between the Youth Program and the High School. Girls and Boys programs. The High School should have some input into the Youth Program. Not total decision and say; some discussion. We should have the Bantams at 8th and 9th grade.
 
Tim Fredberg—Difficult to continually lose. Look at the current teams right now. Parents and associations need to get rid of the level. Play the kids at the levels so they succeed.
 
Game scheduling for the District—it looks like there will be a District wide policy where the district will take over scheduling our games. We will need to submit our black out dates for the Tournaments that we participate in.
 
Standing Reports:
 
Lake Region Hockey Association: Jeanne Falconer. No money again this month—they did not table any money for us. Up to $5000 money is tabled which should be in March—available to us. Champps did well. Moe’s lost quite a bit—their business is down and some issues with the sellers. Problems will not continue. We need to support Moe’s—they are appreciative of all of the business. Working on new sites.
 
 
Player and Coach Development: Mark Mohar. Coaches meeting last night. Consensus was that players are improving. Addressed all levels—skill deficiencies are similar. Will attack those deficiencies. New player development page on the website. There was discussion about the Herb Brooks Foundation—will utilize the first free session and see what happens.
 
Additional business:
Five positions are up for election: President, Secretary, Ice Commissioner, District Representative, and Equipment Manager.
 
Meeting adjourned at 9:06 p.m.