Promoting youth hockey in New Brighton, MoundsView, St.Anthony and Shoreview MN
Sponsored By:   Champps of New Brighton - PULLTABS
New Brighton, Mn
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 

Irondale Youth Hockey Association Board Meeting Minutes
 

IYHA Board of Directors Annual Election Meeting:  April 15, 2010        
 
Election meetingcalled to order at 6:35 pm by President Kevin Bourassa
 
Board Members Present:  Brent Eilefson, Mike Nundahl, Chris Drews, Tom Johnson, Beth Soberg, Kara Chamberlain, Dan Marcouiller, Nina Dojan
 
Board Members Absent:  Monica Crandall, Theresa Spiering
 
Guests:  Steve Krahn, Rick LaPorte
 
President:  Thanks to all leaving board members!  Cannot overstate the importance of your willingness to step up and be a IYHA board member, your contributions as board members, and hopefully your contributions will continue for as long as you have kids in IYHA!
 
Election motions:
               
Cyndi Olson for Treasurer:  Chris Drews moved to accept the white paper ballot.  Beth Soberg second.  Passed without debate.
Rick LaPorte for District 10 Representative:  Chris Drews moved to accept the white paper ballot.  Tom Johnson second.  Passed without debate (but some heckling).
Steve Krahn for Equipment Manager:  Chris Drews moved to accept the white paper ballot.  Kara Chamberlain second.  Motion passed without debate.
Chris Drews for Vice President:  Beth Soberg moved to accept the white paper ballot.  Dan Marcouiller second.  Passed without debate; Chris Drews abstained (insert joke).
Kara Chamberlain for Ice Commissioner:  Dan Marcouiller moved to accept the white paper ballot.  Chris Drews second.  Passed without debate.
 
Motion to adjourn election meeting made at 6:46 pm.  Meeting adjourned.
 
Regular meetingof the IYHA Board of Directors called to order at 6:50 pm by President Kevin Bourassa. 
 
Board members present:  Steve Krahn, Rick Laporte, Chris Drews, Kara Chamberlain, Dan Marcouiller, Mike Nundahl, Beth Soberg, Nina Dojan,
 
Absent:  Cyndi Olson
 
Guest:  Tom Johnson
 
Regular Meeting Minutes:  The minutes of the last Board meeting were read. 
 
Beth Soberg movedto approve March meeting minutes as read.    Chris Drews second.  Passed without debate.   
 
Election Meeting Minutes:  The minutes of the Election Meeting were read.
 
Chris Drews movedto approve Election Meeting minutes as read.  Rick LaPorte second.  Passed without debate.
 
Board Roundtable:
 
Introductions of new/returning Board members
 
President:   Thank you to board members past and present.  It’s been an exciting year and looking forward to next season.  Remember what your role is and ask if you need help or need anything.  Congrats to all kids who competed in all-star tournaments.  4 still going in the select 15s…  Congrats to Mark Hentges, 3M coaching award recipient!  Very much deserved.  Kids need to be shooting and stickhandling.  D10 meeting next Monday night—their annual meeting.  Chris Drews attended D1 meeting and did a nice job in finessing our extraction from D1.   
 
Vice President:  Email out to Fundraising Committee to get calendar for next year in place.  Need to chat with Mounds View about tournaments.  Potential to split tournaments between us.
 
Secretary:  Election requirements fulfilled.  Thanks to volunteers on Nominating Committee and those stepping forward to run.   
 
Treasurer:  Absent.  Will be meeting with outgoing treasurer to compare notes.  P/L and balance sheet have already been exchanged.
 
Boys Program Coordinator:  Approximate dates for start of next season:  Training camp 10/1.  Tryouts 10/25.  Same format--9 hours each level of pre-tryout training, followed by tryouts.  If you are interested in coaching, please contact Boys Coordinator.  Discussion around HS coaching status.  IYHA has offered to assist, no word back on that.  Spring Lake Park and North Metro potential co-op opportunities at different levels.  Need further discussion around this, especially as we get a feel for our numbers.
 
Girls Program Coordinator:  Approximate dates for start of next season:  Warmups end of September.  Early October tryouts if needed.  Numbers are consistent with past years—around 50.  Looking to other associations to add numbers, especially at 12 and 14s.  Spring Lake Park and North Metro are hurting for numbers as well.  Options out there to co-op, boys and girls. 
 
Initiation Program Coordinator:  Lots going on already—looking for coaches!  Call me!  Keep parades in mind, for recruiting and volunteer hours.  Want to do open skates—at least 3, starting in September.  Idea to host some sort of summer floor hockey league for youth.  At initiation level, aiming for single A team, but could be two, and multiple B, C, D teams is envisioned for next year.    
 
District Representative:  Chris Drews attended D1 meeting.  We are trying to get past tourney profits back (we have been in D1 for about 6 1/2 yrs).  Probably between $3k to $6800.  Addressing issues around D1 cutting a check to us.  Still struggling with other teams who are remaining in now-recreational D1 and their claim to the remaining money.  Should resolve shortly.   
 
Ice Commissioner:  Ramsey County ice update—Mounds View check for IYHA overpayment is in the mail.  Need ice requirements for next year.  Trying to stay away from Ridder/Mariucci.   Need tourneys by August 15.  Wants to be in the clinic ice meeting for scheduling purposes.        
 
Registration Coordinator:  Need to consider opening registration early which we can do if we know cost.  Thanks for getting books back, team managers!!  All are back.
               
Equipment Manager:  Tom Johnson, retired, previously ordered 18 sets of Degree deodorant-sponsored jerseys, and was called today asking about colors.  Took that as promising!!  If we get, divvy up for practice purposes.  Hope deodorant is included as well.  Tom will work with Steve Krahn for awhile to get him up to speed.
 
Standing Reports:
 
Player and Coach Development Committee:  No report.  McKelvie contract done but he is interested in coming back and IYHA is interested in retaining.
 
LakeRegion:  Meets next week.  No report.
 
Fundraising Committee:   Looking to meet with Chris Drews in the near future.  No report.
 
Potential Partnership Committee:  Dormant.
 
Website Update:   
 
 1) Keep checking the website during the off-season for news updates and for registration information
2) The 2009-2010 team information will remain on the website indefinitely. The season will change sometime in June or July so the default will become 2010-2011. If you go to your team's information for any season and the drop-down does not give you any options to pick your team, the most common cause is that you have not purged your computer's cookies for a while. The easiest way to do this is to click on the small blue button with a question mark next to the word Team. Towards the bottom of that popup website help window is a link to purge your computer's cookies. Click on the link and you will be reset.
3) Watch for videos and hockey related articles to be posted over the summer.
4) Don't forget to use the Exchange to sell old hockey equipment you no longer need or buy something you might need.
 
Couple of interested people for Webmaster role.  Dave Cheney and Ginny LaPorte have stepped up.
 
New Business:  
 
  • MV cut us a check for $27k for IYHA overpayment of Ramsey County ice.  Executive committee met to discuss and opted for this approach versus awaiting Ramsey County to cut us a check in 3-4 weeks.
 
  Dan Marcouiller movedto adjourn at 8:09 pm.   Mike Nundahl second.  Meeting adjourned.
 
NEXT BOARD MEETING:  Thursday, May 20, 2010 6:30PM AT NEW BRIGHTON FAMILY SERVICE CENTER