Promoting youth hockey in New Brighton, Mounds View, St. Anthony and Shoreview, MN
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
Irondale Youth Hockey Association Board Meeting Minutes
 
 

 IYHA Board of Directors Meeting:  July 15, 2010       

 
Meeting called to order at 6:37pm by President Kevin Bourassa
 
Board Members Present:  Chris Drews, Brent Eilefson, Steve Krahn, Cyndi Olson, Mike Nundahl, Nina Dojan, Rick LaPorte
 
Board Members Absent:  Beth Soberg, Dan Marcouiller, Kara Chamberlain
 
Guests:  Tom Gombold,
 
Minutes:  The minutes of the last Board meeting were read. 
 
 Nina Dojan movedto approve June meeting minutes as read.     Brent Eilefson second.  Passed without debate.   
 
Board Roundtable:
 
President:  By 9/15 D10 needs draft levels of play and by 10/15 need rosters.  USA Hockey recruitment and retention packet available for review.  MN hockey coming out with some new rules.  We need to find a D10 league director, ideally 2—responsible for maintaining game scores and standings.  Good volunteer opportunity, mainly email monitoring and one meeting a month during the season.  D10 wants no more than 18-20 league games.  15 full-ice game max for mites.  Updated participation rule, kids have choice of either home or school when determining association.    
 
Vice President:  Meeting with MV regarding tourneys.  Big change will be to add gate fee.  Shouldn’t affect income, big savings in volunteer hours.  Hope to boost attendance and make money through increased food sales or something.  SuperRink has contracts with food vendors.  Need to track down parade coordinators and get moving generally on parade activities.  Get the puck.    
 
Secretary:  Survey to be distributed to executive committee and coordinators.
 
Treasurer:  Quickbooks up and running, online banking access, etc.  Hope to have final income statement and balance sheet by next month.  A couple teams still need refunds processed.  Record retention question concerning several boxes of old documents. 
 
Boys Program Coordinator:  Expect three teams at each level.  Contact me if you want to coach.    
 
Girls Program Coordinator:  MV out with respect to co-op.  Some contact with SLP.  Coaches meeting next month.   
 
Initiation Program Coordinator:  Starting to get people calling about price for mite program, and parades.  Need to know if we can flat fee the initiation season again.   
 
District Representative:    No report.
 
Ice Commissioner:  Will be meeting with MV to split ice. 
 
Registration Coordinator:   Absent.  Question about late fees—see new business.
               
Equipment Manager:  Jerseys and socks ordered at same quantities as last year. 
 
Standing Reports:
 
Player and Coach Development Committee:  Hope to meet within next two weeks. 
 
LakeRegion:  Meeting next Tuesday.
 
Fundraising Committee:  Still working on Diamond Dining discount card.
 
 Potential Partnership Committee:  Dormant. 
 
Website Update:  Via Rick LaPorte.  Need volunteer policy, registration dates, additional admin fees and dates.
 
Old Business
 

  1. Helmet color.  Would like a policy dictating same color helmet.  Boys HS wears gold; girls wear maroon.  Youth needs to decide.  Thinking black is way to go. 

 
Rick LaPorte movedthat by the beginning of the 2011-12 season, except for goalies, all IYHA players Squirt/U10 and above shall wear black helmets.  Nina Dojan second.  Passed following debate.
 
New Business:  
 

  1. Volunteer policy:  current policy requires $200 check returned at end of year if hours are fulfilled.  Would like to:  increase hours from 12 to 15 per family; drop tourney hours from 9 to 6; exempt team managers, allow volunteer hours for minor officials (scoreboard and book); provide an opt-out to allow IYHA to simply cash check.  With tournament gate fee we’ll need to assess what hours we have to fill and Drews to come up with a proposal.
  2. Fundraising oppty—post-stockyard days cleanup.  For $300 bucks, 6 hours work max, seems easy.  Need to make sure we have people available to do it.
  3. Admin fee:  Registering after September 3 will result in additional $50 admin fee.  Families need to be current on ice bills prior to stepping on ice for tryouts/warmups.       

 
  Brent Eilefson movedto adjourn at 8:27pm.  Chris Drews second.  Meeting adjourned.
 
NEXT BOARD MEETING:  Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:30PM AT NEW BRIGHTON FAMILY SERVICE CENTER