Promoting youth hockey in New Brighton, MoundsView, St.Anthony and Shoreview MN
Sponsored By:   Patrick Fagerlee - American Family Insurance
New Brighton, Mn
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
 IYHA June 2004 - Meeting Minutes

 

From Brad DeKanick, President:

I hope your school year went well! Enjoy the summer and all of your activities. Sun, swimming, camps, the fun stuff that we wait all year for in Minnesota.

We will see you at Registration in late August. Watch the newsletter for details about registration.

We have received the results from the survey. We have a response rate of approximately 10%. It is helpful to have feedback; however we are cautioned to make sure we make decisions that are representative of the membership. If you have not completed your survey, you can still do so by sending feedback to me (Brad) or Niki Gjere.

 

 

From Brian Johnson, Vice President

 

IYHA is planning to participate in 3 parades this summer.  We will be rollerblading, distributing candy, and having a great time!  Mark these dates on your calendar:

 

August 6 - Villagefest Parade, St. Anthony

August 12 - Stockyard Days Parade, New Brighton

August 22 - Festival in the Park, Mounds View

 

 

 

Dryland in August and September:

 

Brad DeKanick will be conducting dryland sessions in August and September. We need ideas for stations, volunteers for stations. If you are interested, please contact him at 651-639-9110.

 

 

 

 

Junior Gold News from Jeanne Falconer:

 

            IYHA has now become part of the Twin Cities District. The TC District does have a Junior Gold program. The teams (A, B, U16) are comprised of players from all of the associations in the TC District. Notices are posted in the Ramsey County Arenas when it is time for tryouts. (We will also post information in the Newsletter as it is available to us.)

 

 

The Board of the Lake Region Hockey Association meets on the third Tuesday of every month at various locations. If you are interested in attending the next meeting, please call Niki Gjere and she will connect you with Lake Region.

 

All IYHA Board Meetings are open meetings.

Please feel free to come to the meetings, which are held at the Mounds View City Hall in Conference Room C. Also, if you wish to have a copy of any information which is distributed at the meeting, please email or call Niki and it will be mailed to you. Upcoming dates for Board meetings (all Wednesdays):

July 21, 2004; August 18, 2004; September 22, 2004; October 20, 2004; November 17, 2004; December 15, 2004.

If you wish to be on the agenda, please contact Brad DeKanick.

 

 

Girls Program news from Chris Tahti, Girls Coordinator


I had a meeting on June 3rd with the U14 parents to discuss options for their daughters and answer questions.  As the summer progresses, we will have further discussions, but right now, the 6 girls in question are trying to sort through their options for the coming season.  The Youth hockey option for them is to participate in the District-wide tryouts for U14; it
appears as if a total of 3 teams will be formed by combining all the girls from all the associations into one massive pool and dividing them up via tryouts.  It is unlikely that IYHA would be allowed to 'host' one of these teams, so if families choose this option, they will have to travel to another association for their base of operations.

At U14, it looks as if the metro will be divided into two leagues, so for games, no matter where we play, travel is involved.  It has not been determined yet if it will be a north/south split or an east/west split.

This leaves one last item - pay attention to what is happening at the upper level of Girls youth hockey.  Realistically, with the new age categories, U14 is an option for a youth hockey player for one year only.  The second year of U14, in most cases ninth grade, the player will likely move to the high school program.  Unless MAHA sees U8, U11, and U14 as a better solution as it relates to numbers, and creating a two year opportunity for U14's prior to high school, this problem will be around awhile.

Knowing this, we have two solutions to this ongoing problem:


1)  We have to move approximately 13 athletes into U14 at the same time - and I mean 13 age-appropriate U14's.  Subjecting physically immature athletes to this rigorous program is an irresponsible solution and it subjects them to potential injury.  13 athletes to U14?! This can only be accomplished by a very aggressive recruitment campaign - leaving it to others to bring girls into the program is a way to insure this problem will perpetuate itself for years to come. E-v-e-r-y-o-n-e must recruit players.

2)  We have to invest in the future.  At some point, we need a group to agree to the co-op tryout system of TC District at U14.  Yes, that keeps the athletes in youth hockey for an uncomfortable year somewhere else, but they are playing nonetheless.  The second year, that same group of athletes would all have to commit to not playing high school in ninth grade and coupled with the incoming U14's, we would have our first IYHA U14 team that would not have to co-op.  Because, once we lose a first year U14 to high school, they will not come back to youth hockey for the second year of U14.  Which group of girls will be the first to break this cycle, by making a group commitment and a sacrifice of sorts, for the long-term benefit of IYHA?

Option One is the more realistic solution and where we all should invest some energy immediately for the future.


U12:  As long as the numbers do not change and all girls return and participate in the girls program, we have a roster and should not need to co-op.  If we are in need of a skater or two, it is likely we will be able to bring in a skater or two from another TC association.

U10:  Looks like we will be replacing the girls who aged up with girls from IP so another year with two teams at this level if the numbers remain where expected.

I commend the U14 parents for attending our initial meeting, as well as the phone calls and the emails that came before and have happened since.  Your commitment to your children is obvious and I look forward to working with you all as you make your decisions.

Chris Tahti
Girls Coordinator

 

 

Sponsorships:

There have been several teams that have sponsors for their teams. These are listed below. This part of the newsletter will continue throughout the rest of the IYHA season. Please notify Niki Gjere of any additions or corrections. (Please forward information about websites and addresses, etc.) Many thanks to our sponsors!

Pee Wee B Team:

**John Bailey—our goalie Beau’s Dad**

**Victor Kretsch, Quality Post Service (Zach Ewing’s Grandpa)**

Ponies:

**Mike Bridgeman**

Girls 10U Maroon Team:

**Champp’s New Brighton**

**Real Estate Appraisers (the Slipka’s)**

**Fuji-Ya Restaurant (the Hanson’s**)

Girls 10U Gold Team:

**Champp’s New Brighton**

**Real Estate Appraisers (the Slipka’s)**

Initiation

**Razor’s Edge, New Brighton**

IYHA:

**New Brighton Sportsmen’s Club**

**Lake Region Hockey Association**

 

Once again, many, many thanks to our sponsors!

Please support them! When you see them, please tell them you are from Irondale Youth Hockey!

Irondale Youth Hockey Association Board Meeting Minutes:

Wednesday, May 19, 2004.   Note—these minutes have not been approved by the Board of Directors. They will be reviewed, revised, and approved at the next regular meeting.

 

Present:  Brad DeKanick, Brian Johnson, Niki Gjere, Jeanne Falconer, Becky Ewing, Chris Tahti, Randy Bortot, Tom Welty, Pat O’Connor.

Absent:  Dan Marcouiller.

Guests:  John Dalnes, John Donovan.

 

Meeting called to order by President Brad DeKanick at 7:02 p.m.

Minutes reviewed, motion to approve (CT) (TW), motion carried.

 

1.       Twin Cities District Update:

a.       Went to first District meeting, St. Anthony still needs to submit a letter to the D2 and TC Presidents to state they are coming with Irondale.

 

2.       Lake Region Report:

a.       Lake Region Board has decided to send $5000 each month to each Association on a 12 month year. Will review periodically so they can review potential additional pay-outs.

b.       Lake Region will forward a copy of their financial report. They would like the same from us. Primarily they are interested in seeing that the monies are being used for the kids. Sue Sentieri is the Treasurer for Lake Region.

c.       Questions from Chris: Is there a contract or any thing in writing between Lake Region and Irondale and Lake Region and Mounds View? Will check on this.

d.       What is the fiscal year for Lake Region? The same year as Irondale.

e.       What was the total amount given to Irondale last year? Pull tab income of $45,000. They had a total of $85,000. So even though the years are the same, it is not balancing. Need to check into this. It depends on when the check was written and when it was deposited.

f.         Will keep some record of the date of the check, the check amount and when it was deposited. May assist us in keeping track.

 

3.       Volunteering Ideas: Deferred until next meeting.

 

New Business—Board Roundtable:

 

1.       President: Brad DeKanick.

a.       Received a check for $440 from 10,000 Rinks Foundation. American Family Protect the Net Donation. January 14th. Thank you!

b.       Sunday, August 22nd—Mounds View Parade. Received information about this. Brian will follow through on this. Will also participate in the Stockyard Days parade.

c.       Chris is doing a great job with the TC District and Girls Program concerns.

d.       Welcome to the new Board members! KARE-11 News: took a skate to the throat. Parents are now working to have it be mandatory for Lakeville Hockey Association skaters to wear neck guards. They are advocating for Minnesota Hockey to adopt this policy. Discussion.

 

2.       Vice President: Brian Johnson.

a.       Introduced self.

b.       St. Anthony may have a parade, will check on this. Will include information about all of the parades for the newsletter.

 

3.       Treasurer: Jeanne Falconer.

a.       Received information from Cindy. Accounts are open at Premier.

b.       Must have budgets. If you need to have the information from last year, contact Cindy.

c.       Junior Gold information will be placed in the newsletter.

d.       Would like to have try-outs early in the season, so teams can be on the ice in early October. Motion to have warm-ups and tryouts in September and teams hit the ice in October (JF) (PO). Discussion. Not sure what the time line is for TC District. Need to check on this—it may not be as stringent. There are concerns about having Fall sports finishing their tournaments and playoffs, so there may be a conflict with try-outs. Puts the child in a difficult position. Concern about assuring that players are insured. Motion tabled. Seems that we are already asking a lot of our coaches, Girls Program coaches said it is difficult to be on the ice any sooner than they have been in previous years. ACE Coordinator can run practices during the early season—will be up to the Program Coordinators.

 

4.       Secretary: Niki Gjere.

a.       Newsletter deadline is June 1st.

b.       Linda DeKanick is unable to do the website. Niki will take it over for the time being and will start in late June.

 

5.       Registration Coordinator: Pat O’Connor.

a.       Copy of draft registration form distributed. Social Security number will be removed from form. Email and date of birth are in bold. Do we need to add Junior Gold? Jeanne will ask TC. Costs will be changed to $150.

b.       Waiver of liability form is not changing from last year.

c.       Medical form and code of conduct forms are same as last year.

d.       Members will be able to download forms from website and bring a check.

e.       August 16 is the TC Registration Coordinator meeting.

f.         Will plan on having two partial days of registration (week night and Saturday morning) and a late registration. Will be held at the Freedom Park Neighborhood Center (Warming House).  

g.       Thoughts about using parade and Stockyard Days activities to distribute registration information.

h.       Last year, registered 285 players.

 

6.       District Representative: Tom Welty.

a.       The information about the HEP program is on June 21st, at Arlington High School at 7:00 p.m. for any Board Members encouraged to attend. HEP is a sportsmanship award program where there are points for sportsmanship.

b.       TC Director is Gene King, he wants to step down. They are thinking of this being a paid position. If interested, contact Gene King or Tom Welty.

c.       Did we get anything from Dodge this year? We could not get follow up last year. Dodge gave away $336,000 to Associations, Irondale got zero. Need to pursue this year.

d.       Minnkota District—numbers of players and coaches through the years—distributed information.

e.       Match penalties information for Minnesota hockey distributed—information by age category.

f.         SKATE program involvement—went from 38% to 61% involvement. Tommy Cunningham won an Acceleration Minnesota gift certificate for SKATE. Tom W has drafted a press release.

g.       Tom received 4 DVDs—hockey fundamentals. THESE ARE FREE!

 

7.       Ice Commissioner: Becky Ewing.

a.       Has received information from Mick in transition.

b.       Put teams in the tournaments early. Can register for tournaments without having the teams formalized. This was brought up at the coaches meeting. Suggested we talk with the coaches from last year and see what tournaments were good. Ice time must be designated for tournaments, and it comes up quickly. The Coordinators should spearhead this.

c.       Has called other arenas to get ice. Comments from survey—9:00 p.m. on a weeknight is not okay. Can ask for other arenas—this may be more expensive. Will need decision at the next meeting. We need to share more ice this year.

d.       Initiation program should get the best ice at the best times—to support their interest in hockey.

 

8.       Initiation Coordinator: Open. No update on filling this position.

 

9.       Girls Coordinator: Chris Tahti.

a.       A lot of questions and not a lot of answers. TC District likes to co-op teams. Chris is going to a meeting tomorrow to see where the kids are going to play. There will be 6 girls for sure for a 14U team. Many unknowns. For the 10U and 12U, those girls will be staying.

b.       Do not think there will be any 16U girls, depending on what happens at the High School level.

c.       TC would like to see a full Girls Initiation program. We are on the road to that, not this year. However, in the near future it would be helpful.

 

10.    Boys Coordinator: Dan Marcouiller. Absent, no report.

 

11.    Equipment Manager: Randy Bortot.

a.       Received key to the equipment shed. Will have more keys made.

b.       What would it cost to have the Irondale logo on pucks for the game pucks? This would promote Irondale Pride. Will check into this.

 

Motion to adjourn (NG) (CT), motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 8:40 p.m. Next meeting: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 at 7:00 p.m. in the Mounds View City Hall Conference Room C.