Promoting youth hockey in New Brighton, MoundsView, St.Anthony and Shoreview MN
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Irondale Youth Hockey Association Board Meeting Minutes
 

 
IYHA Board of Directors Meeting:  July 21, 2011     
 
Meeting called to order at 6:34 pm by Vice President Chris Drews
 
Board Members Present:  Chris Drews, Beth Soberg, Rick LaPorte, Brent Eilefson, Mark Klein, Shari Kunza, Nicki Nelson, Steve Krahn, Cyndi Olson
 
Board Members Absent:  None
 
Guests:  Craig Gunderman, Rick Sonterre, Adam Schmidt, others
 
Minutes:  The minutes of the May Board meeting were read. 
 
Shari Kunza movedto approve May meeting minutes as read.  Rick LaPorte second.  Passed without debate.
 
Board Roundtable:
 
President:  Absent.
 
Vice President:  Met with MV regarding tournament planning.  11 teams signed up already.  Looking to fill tournament early.  Most money comes from registration fees.  Need people willing to step up and help in a significant fashion.  In particular, we need a “Half-Raffle Guy/Gal” who would be willing to split duties with a MV “Half-Raffle Guy/Gal”.  Willing to consider full volunteer hour commitment being fulfilled.   
 
Secretary:  No report.
 
Treasurer:  Working on payment policy.  Writing checks for tournament registrations.
 
Boys Program Coordinator:   Coaches interviews complete.  A peewee and B1 bantam coaches selected.  Parent coaches have been identified and will be placed with kids following tryouts.  Until we see registration numbers, planning on 2 bantam teams, B1 and B2; 2 peewee teams, A and B2; 2 squirt teams, B1 and B2.  All tournament registrations complete or near complete.   
 
Girls Program Coordinator:  See co-op report below.
 
Initiation Program Coordinator:  Fliers prepared for parade.  The puck-it has been located and renovated.  Nate Chamberlain may drive the puck—are we afraid?  We will need to send out an association wide email to get kids of all age levels to come out and walk/rollerblade in the parade (behind the puck).  Would like to get the registration info on the website before the 1st parade along with "Let's Try Hockey" info.  Discussion about fliers to hand out at the schools come this fall, which schools we give them to, what kind of approval is need, etc.  Discussed having an adult goalie come to a few practices to do some work with kids who want to be goalie.  This didn't really happen last season. Do they need certification or anything like that?
 
                Rick LaPorte moved to approve ½ sheet parade fliers and otherwise as presented.  Kara Chamberlain second.  Motion passed. 
 
District Representative:  USA hockey voted to ban checking at peewee level.  Tag-up off-sides at bantam level only.  MN hockey background check is now online.  If you work with kids, you need to complete this.  Also CEP rules changed.  Reffing one-day seminar is coming up and is available on MN Hockey website.  Need to provide refs at mites and C squirt levels per D10.  Will attend D10 Presidents meeting in September.     
 
Ice Commissioner:  Need tourneys for girls and boys.  Dividing ice with MV next week.  MV wants to do 60/40 as opposed to 70/30 split, which works for us.  Need planned usage to Superrink by August 5. 
 
Registration Coordinator:  Need to finalize registration fees.  Will work with Cyndi.  We have cookbooks for sale-100% profit to IYHA for whoever wants to do this—sell at parades?  Tourneys?
               
Equipment Manager:  Need to purchase a deck box for collecting and storing donated gear.  Need to promote equipment donations.  If you have equipment to donate, contact me and we can arrange a drop off.

 
 
Standing Reports:
 
Player and Coach Development Committee:   No report.  
 
Lake Region:  No report.
 
Fundraising Committee:  No report.
 
Potential Partnership Committee:  Dormant. 
 
Website Update:  No report
 
Old Business:  
 
  • Jerseys:  We need to start replacing.  Some may have been worn by current board members.  Got quotes for various jerseys and socks from Dave’s.  Boys Coordinator will get more quotes from competitors as well. 
 
  • McKelvie contract:    He is interested in working with IYHA again. 
 
Rick LaPorte movedto begin talks to renew McKelvie contract.  Mark Klein second.  Motion passed.  Secretary to email prior contract out to board.
 
  • Co-Op Discussion:  IYHA, led by Girls Program Coordinator, met with Coon Rapids regarding a potential co-op.  Meeting was very productive.  Our numbers, goalies, and coaches seem to match up and we would like to propose a full girls co-op with Coon Rapids - from the U8 to U14 level.  This co-op would collectively give us:
 
U8 - 2 teams
U10 - an A and  B team
U12 - an A and B team
U14 - an A team
   
Details of proposal:
1. Registration - players would register and pay fees to their home association
2. Fees - associations will bill each other for respective ice time and associations would bill players
3. Teams would wear both Irondale and Coon Rapids jerseys - one for home and the other for away. Teams would be listed as Coon Rapids/Irondale or vice versa.
4. Tryouts are needed at the U10 & U12 levels through an independent third party or by using coaches/board members from each association's boys program.  Tryout jerseys & socks would be necessary. 
5. U8s would be evaluated and divided evenly.
6. Coaches would be interviewed prior to tryouts and assigned after tryouts.  Interviews would be conducted by board members of each association.  Attempts will be made to place coaches from each association on each team as well as attempts to have co-managers.
 
Issues yet to be resolved:
1. Team Treasurers/which association funds
2. Ice scheduling
3. Tryouts
4. Co-op name
5. ???
  
Please see summary located on the IYHA website under home page news.
 
Significant discussion around numbers at each levels, read Welty and other Member emails for record.  Ice scheduling concerns raised.  Combining should drive down costs.  Alternative to co-op--you may lose kids waiving out, playing boys hockey, etc.  Discussion around appropriate levels of play, neighborhood hockey, balancing challenge and a good experience, coaching, tryouts versus not trying out.  Excellent points made for.  Excellent points made against.  More sensible discussion.     
 
                Steve Krahn moved to pursue a full coop with Coon Rapids and form a committee to explore the logistics around completing this partnership.  Kara Chamberlain second.  Passed following further debate.
 
New Business:  
 
  • Goalie coach:  Boys Coordinator will research options, get quotes and report back to board.
 
  • Brief discussion relative to Secretary’s receipt of notice of resignation from Jeff Dinsmore, President of IYHA.    
 
Rick LaPorte movedto accept resignation of Jeff Dinsmore.   Steve Krahn second.  Motion passed.  Search will commence for replacement President.  Contact the Secretary if interested.
 
  • Discussion with Adam Schmidt regarding HS relationship with youth program, spoke to co-op opportunity.  Want a position on board and be involved in decision-making at youth level.  Wants HS players very involved with youth squads.         
 
   Mark Klein movedto adjourn at 8:50 pm.  Beth Soberg second.  Meeting adjourned.
 
NEXT BOARD MEETING:  Thursday, August 18, 2011 6:30PM AT NEW BRIGHTON FAMILY SERVICE CENTER