Promoting youth hockey in New Brighton, Mounds View, St. Anthony and Shoreview, MN
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Irondale Youth Hockey Association Board Meeting Minutes
 
 
IYHA Board of Directors Meeting:  Called to order 6:31 by president Chris Drews
 
Board Members Present:  Brent Eilefson, Rick Laporte, Gerry Johnson, Chris Drews, Shari Kunza, Steve Krahn, Kara Chamberlain, Mark Klein, Nicki Oswald, John Niedfeldt-Thomas
 
Board Members Absent:  Bill Jacob
 
Guests:  Adam Schmidt, Chris Erickson (Snyper Sports)
 
Minutes:  The minutes of the April Board meeting were read. 
 
Gerry Johnsen moved to approve April board meeting minutes as read.   Mark Klein second.  Motion passed.
 
Mark Klein moved to approve Bill Jacob as Treasurer.  Kara Chamberlain second.  Motion passed.  The Board notes that Rob Hanson has allegedly volunteered to work with Bill in this endeavor. 
 
Board Roundtable:
 
President:  IYHA seeking to have D10 address replacement goalie rule, which was problematic for IYHA last year at a couple levels, and could have been worse.  Message from D10 is that they will be cracking down on association shopping.  Reports of players families negotiating deals with other associations and seeking waivers after the deal is done.  Only association presidents should be discussing player waivers. 
 
Vice President:  Fundraising options being discussed.  Business sponsorship of jerseys and such.  Looking into this.  Discount cards.  Keep opportunities coming in!
 
Secretary:  No report. 
 
Treasurer:  No report.
 
Boys Program Coordinator:  Still looking for coaches.  Meeting with Coon Rapids on Monday to discuss potential co-op at certain levels.
 
Girls Program Coordinator:  Mounds View open to co-oping.  MV checking with D2, but since we have successfully done this in the past, we don’t anticipate issues.  MV has low numbers at U14, U10 and U8.  Coon Rapids also open to co-oping again.  Either way is a win for IYHA.
 
Initiation Program Coordinator:  Street signs—obtained Vistaprint quote, probably order 100 or so.  If families still have old signs, use them!  Parade coordinator still needed—lure of full volunteer hours fell on deaf ears (again).  Parades are seen as best opportunity to get in front of potential players and families.  Gerry will take St. Anthony Villagefest parade.  Anyone out there willing to take Stockyard days parade?  IYHA interested in conducting “lets play hockey” clinics during the summer?  Will need to check USA hockey rules or perhaps use waiver.  HS will have a booth at Stockyard days, IYHA will seek to have its own booth next to HS hockey booth.  Secretary to followup. 
 
                Mark Klein moved to approve two summer lets play hockey dates, dates tbd.  Kara Chamberlain second.  Motion passed. 
 
District Representative:  No D10 meeting since last report.  A/AA thing still in flux, D10 trying to create info sheet to provide people.  Appeal process to waive down/up still undecided.
 
Ice Commissioner:  No report.
 
Registration coordinator:  Have touched base with former Registration Coordinator, getting IYHA mail.  Discussed getting registration open as early as possible.  Need deterrent to keep people from late registering.  If not registered by team declaration date, you will be placed on lowest level, pay hefty fine, etc..  Otherwise things get screwy when you try and create teams with consistent talent levels.
 
Equipment Manager:  No report.
 
Standing Reports:
 
Player and Coach Development Committee:   No report.
 
Lake Region:  No report.
 
Fundraising Committee:  No report.
 
Potential Partnership Committee:  No report.
 
Website Update:  No report.
 
Old Business:  N/A
 
New Business:  
 
a.             Chris Erickson, Snyper Sports, jerseys.  Sublimation jerseys $125 for home and away and socks.  $175 for the deluxe version.  Hope to get 5 years on premium, 2-3 years on lesser model.  Price break at 100.  Could break up jerseys and socks.  Discussion around charging extra fee for jersey purchasing at time of registration, and penalties for abusing jerseys.
 
b.             Tournament – discussed MV proposal to split tourneys.  Unlike last year, when they wanted to give us the Thanksgiving Tourney and keep the January Tourney, this year they decided they like the November tourney and would give us the January tourney instead.  Tourney has been a joint affair since the 1970s and apparently now things are different.  Need to see if Lake Region needs to be involved in the discussion.  Would like to understand the relative time contribution each association contributes—many seem to recall Cheryl Mason running the tournament for 6 straight years, now Debbie has taken over for the last several years, each doing a great job.

Gerry Johnsen moved that IYHA’s position is that it intends to operate November and January tourneys in cooperation with Mounds View as in the past, but that IYHA will entertain Mounds View’s idea of splitting the cost of a professional tournament director provided such position is clearly defined with respect to role and responsbilities.  Mark Klein second.  Motion passed.
 
c.     Adam Schmidt - HS coach board position not required.  But reiterated that he is dedicated to attending board meetings and is invested in the youth program.  Discussed ensuring the success of his Summer Development Program, since it directly benefits not only IYHA players who attend, but ultimately the future success of the HS program.  

Rick LaPorte moved to adjourn at 8:38 pm.   Shari Kunza second.  Meeting adjourned.
 
NEXT BOARD MEETING:  Thursday, June 21, 2012 6:30PM AT NEW BRIGHTON FAMILY SERVICE CENTER