Promoting youth hockey in New Brighton, MoundsView, St.Anthony and Shoreview MN
Sponsored By:   Patrick Fagerlee - American Family Insurance
New Brighton, Mn
 
 
My my My my
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

From the President - June 2005

     Summer is here.  Hockey may be pretty low on your priority list right now.  A few players have already been in Spring Leagues.  Other summer programs have begun or will begin soon.  Many of us will be shuttling our kids to hockey rinks again.  Believe it or not, the 2005 - 2006 season is slowly gearing up.

 

     The IYHA Board is getting acquainted.  The latest member to be welcomed is the new Boys Coordinator, Mark Mohar.  While just two new faces were added in the recent elections, there are actually five more members that have joined the Board within the past 18 months.  Three of those are appointments that filled mid-term vacancies.  Four of the eleven members have been on the Board for more than two years.  It is a nice mix of experience.

 

     A new bond also needs to form between next season's coaching staff.  We need to develop a coaching structure that intertwines the coaches, the Program Coordinators, the ACE Coordinator and the girls and boys High School coaches.  Communication and cooperation will be key components.

 

     Budgets will be a topic this summer.  Each of us saw some benefit this past season from extra income from Lake Region charitable gambling.  There are indications that those funds may be lower this year.  Our other major fundraising source, the Super Rink Tournaments, also took a dip in profits last year.  The proceeds from charitable gambling and the tournaments are divided between the Irondale and Mounds View youth hockey programs.  The Board will have to tighten the belt to eliminate or at least minimize the direct impact to each IYHA family.

    

You can relax.  Things are in good hands.  Go ahead and enjoy your summer.

Jim Cich, IYHA President               e-mail:          cell phone:  651-295-1078

 

Summer Parades!  Get ready for rollerblading and passing out candy!

Villagefest (St. Anthony):                        Friday, August 5

Stock Yard Days (New Brighton):            Thursday, August 11

Festival in the Park (Mounds View):         stay tuned!

Last year we had a great turnout for our parade entries.  Please watch the newsletter and / or website for more information as it becomes available.  If anyone is interested in helping with some of the parade details, please contact Brian Johnson.  Last year it is a lot of fun and the children have a great time!

 

Team News:

The Irondale Squirts, playing in the Squirt American Division in the Spirit of the Wild Spring league, won the league championship last night.  The team finished the regular season with 7 wins and 4 losses, but one of our losses was a forfeit loss because we didn't have a goalie.  We actually won the game 8-2 with 9 skaters and no goalie.  So, those of us close to the team and with an obvious bias call it an 8 and 3 regular season.

 

In the play-offs the Knights team went 3 & 0 with an amazing double overtime victory over the Blaine Bombers in the championship game to win the title of 2005 league champs.  In the title game we fell behind 3-0 within the first ten minutes, but kept our composure, went back to our game plan and fought back to take a 4-3 lead in to the last eight minutes of the game.  The Bombers put home a goal from within the crease with less than a minute left in regulation and off to overtime we went.  We overcame two overtime penalty kills to win the game with less than two minutes left in the second overtime while playing 4 on 4 hockey.

 

Spirit of the Wild participants were:  2004 Ponies - A.J. Anderson and Alex Fredberg.  2004 C Squirts - Logan Johnson and Tom Crandall.  2004 B Squirts  - Austin Sonterre, Matt Rog, Tony Bridgeman, Alex LaPorte, Kyle O'Connor, Ryan Ekblad, Patrick Muldoon, Vinnie Martinjako and Isaac Druvenga.  A Squirts - Esko Aukee and Marco Lucarelli. Head Coach - Rich Sonterre,  Asst. Coach Dale Aukee

 

IYHA Board Meetings are open meetings.

Please feel free to come to the meetings. If you wish to have a copy of any information which is distributed at any meeting, please email or call Niki and it will be mailed to you. Upcoming dates for2005 Board meetings are the

third Thursday of every month at 6:30 p.m. 

June 16 (Mounds View City Hall, Conference Room C)

Agenda items for June 16th meeting will include: Board and Speciality budgets, Board and Specialty Job descriptions, High School Coaches, Board roundtable (updates from each Board member)

Future meetings are: July 21, August 18, September 15, October 20, November 17, December 15.

NOTE: If you wish to be on the agenda for the meeting, please contact Jim Cich.

 

Lake Region Board Meetings:

Lake Region Hockey meetings are open meetings. Contact Jeanne Falconer for dates and times of the next meetings.

            Irondale Youth Hockey Association (IYHA)  Board Members 2004-2005

President           

 

Jim Cich

651-295-1078 (cell)

Vice President

Brian Johnson

 

 

Treasurer

Jeanne Falconer

 

763-784-5520 (h)

763-458-5946 (cell)

651-486-1235 (w)

Secretary

Niki Gjere

612-273-6439 (w)

651-270-8551 (cell)

612-527-7437 (pager)

Ice Commissioner

Renae Oleson

 

763-784-6864 (h)

Boys Program Coordinator

Mark Mohar

651-639-1908 (h)

 

Girls Program Coordinator

Chris Tahti

651-636-6152 (h)

 

(home)

Initiation Coordinator

Cheryl Mason

 

651-639-1543 (h)

Equipment

Randy Bortot

763-784-9557 (h)

952-475-4045 (Work)

Registration

Pat O’Connor

651-636-1081 (h)

 

District Representative

 

Tom Welty

763-780-4865 (h)

612-508-4833 (cell)

Non-Board Position:

ACE Coordinator

John Donovan

651-786-5200ext2480 (w)

651-592-1187 (h)

(home)

(work)

 

Sponsorships:

There have been several teams that have sponsors for their teams. These are listed below. This part of the newsletter will continue throughout the rest of the IYHA season. Please notify Niki Gjere of any additions or corrections. (Please forward information about websites and addresses, etc.) Many thanks to our sponsors!

 

IYHA: *Champp’s New Brighton**Culvers of St. Anthony**New Brighton Sportsmen’s Club**Lake Region Hockey Association*

Pee Wee B: **Quality Post Service**

Squirt A: *Billman-Hunt Chapel**W.W. Goetsch Associates**Response Fire Protection Company**

10U A: **Fuji Ya**

Once again, many, many thanks to our sponsors! Please support them! When you see them, please tell them you are from Irondale Youth Hockey.

 

 

Irondale Youth Hockey Association Board Meeting Minutes:

 

IYHA Board of Directors meeting

Minutes of the Meeting of May 19, 2005 

Note: These minutes have not been approved. They will be reviewed, corrected as needed, and approved at the next regular Board of Directors Meeting.

 

Meeting called to order at 6:34 p.m. by President Jim Cich. Minutes Recorder: Jeanne Falconer.

Board Members Present:  Jim Cich, Brian Johnson, Jeanne Falconer, Cheryl Mason, Chris Tahti, Renae Olesen, Pat O’Connor and Tom Welty, Mark Mohar.

 

Guests:  Mark Rupp, Tom Hanson, John Donovan, Barry Rog, Jackie Rogg, Al Morelli, John Eide, Jodi Lorence and Dan Lorence

 

President: Jim Cich

Jim introduced himself and let everyone know this is his first meeting as President.  We all introduced ourselves.

 

Discussion regarding the Boys’ Coordinator position.  There were 4 absentee ballots cast.  The decision came down to voiding the absentee ballots and let the count stand without them.  (The 4 absentee ballots did not change the outcome of the election).  Or to void the election and hold it again.  Motion to void the 4 ballots and have the count stand (JF) (MB), motion carried, one opposed. The reason to void the ballots is because the decision to have them was made very close to the election and was not announced to the entire membership.  We (board) know the election process has to be visited and decisions made.  Absentee ballots have not been allowed at any time in the past.  It is unlikely that elections will be held in any month other than April.  April is the last month of the fiscal year and is the month following the end of the hockey season.  Mark Mohar was accepted as the Boys’ Coordinator.

The vote count is not publicized.  It hasn’t been in the past and is unlikely to be in the future – out of consideration of the candidates.

Proposal to have handouts at registration about upcoming open positions. 

 

ACE Coordinator – reviewed the responsibilities of the ACE (Association Coaching & Education Coordinator).  New resolution written up.  Went through it to change any wording and to accept it.  There was 1 opposed to the changes made and to accept it as changed.  It was pointed out that the wage structure for the ACE will have to change.  We’re a small assoc. w/limited funds.  We need to lower the wage.  It was suggested a wage base and if any teams requested the ACE on ice for development, that team would pay whatever hourly rate is decided.

It was asked by a guest why the HS coach isn’t more involved.  It is looking like he will have more involvement this year.  It was made clear Mr. Martin only wants to work with the kids, is not looking for any position.  It was suggested that Jim extend the “olive branch” to both Girls and Boys HS coaches and to invite them to meetings.  It was said that Rodefeldt (sp) offered his services on ice for free, but no one attended so he has stayed away from the youth program.  CT contends that he has tried to contact him a number of times without success, but will not give up.  It was also pointed out that when Jeff Martin ran the clinics in January (1.5 hours each for Squirts, PeeWees and Bantams), that he did NOT charge for his time.  JD will remain the ACE.  He must work with Mark and the HS Coach (as well as Chris and the Girls’ HS Coach).

 

JF suggested that at registration, instead of rushing to get all the forms to everybody – to take the time to explain the part where it says A/B, B/C, C only so people truly understand this part – this does make a difference in whether or not there are A teams.

 

Want budgets in early.

 

Vice President:  Brian Johnson

Proposing we do the same 3 parades as last year.  Is looking for volunteers.  If get enough – will turn his go cart into a mini float of a hockey puck.  Will be or has requested applications for the parades.  We do have our tournament committee together – there are good people on it.  Will be meeting with MV end of May beginning of June.  A 3rd parent has donated equipment – there are lots of promises.  Has applied to 10,000 rinks/MN Wild for the equipment.  If we are chosen, we will get 12 new sets of equipment.  We need to promote our program of getting new and used equipment.  It is important to help the beginners out so they (and parents) get hooked.  Will make a spread sheet of who has donated and what has been donated.  Will say anonymous for those who don’t want their name published.  St. Anthony has an up and running equipment rental program – something to look into.

 

Treasurer: Jeanne Falconer.

Money will be tighter this year – it’s a good possibility.  Did NOT get a check from Lake Region for April.  It is tabled and when the funds are available, will get something – maybe $5000, or maybe less.  Summer is slow and the no smoking ban has really hurt business.

Will have to look closely at the ACE wage.  It will no doubt have to be significantly reduced.  If a team requests the ACE on the ice for development, then that team will pay him, as a team pays anyone it invites to be on the ice for development.

All the team checkbooks are in and all the paperwork that goes with them.  Thank you VERY much to all the team treasurers.  All of you did a great job, had lots of patience and perhaps some of you will be treasurers again next season.

Fees for USA and MN Hockey are up from $32 to $40 for next season.  Would like to know what the costs of the refs will be and also the cost of the ice.  Need to start figuring ahead.

End of fiscal year – will be pulling everything together for the accountant.  The reason we have an audit, is to ensure there is no fraud or anything else underhanded and everything is on the up and up.

He does our 990’s, gets the paperwork and filing ready for our non-prophet status and does our 1099’s.

 

Secretary: Niki Gjere.

Absent – avail. by phone if any voting issues arise.

Deadline for newsletter is June 1.  Will have the surveys collated for the June meeting. 

It was brought up that many of the membership would like to receive the newsletter earlier, especially to see what issues will be on the agenda at the up coming meeting so plans can be made to attend if so desired.

This probably can be done, but in order to do so, the deadline will be held.  Nothing accepted late.

 

Boy’s Program Coordinator: Mark Mohar: Has been working with Dan Marcouiller – would like or needs to have an idea of what year each player is at.  He has been in touch with Jeff Martin.

 

Girls’ Program Coordinator: Chris Tahti:

U14 situation:  MV will not host the U14 team.  Has asked IYHA if it will host the team.  We would like to, definitely.  However, we are not in D2, so we cannot.  TC rules that the U14 team(s) is/are co-opted and no assoc. can have its own.  This is definitely a subject that will keep working on and looking for options.  Suggested that maybe Lake Region would be interested in hosting a combined IYHA and MVYHA U14 team if they have an affiliation.  LR rep will ask about this.

U12 – want to recruit so we have enough players for an A and B level.  HS doesn’t think he’ll have to pull any 7th graders – that leaves a firm 21 at U12.

U8 is the biggest area that is growing in Girls’ hockey.  Most associations have the best luck at growing by establishing U8.  Is going to work w/Cheryl, John, Jim and Tom, etc. about phasing in the U8 program.  It would take the girls from the initiation.  Vast majority of assoc. grow as soon as the boys and girls are separated.  This is an opportunity for us to grow.  It starts with parent meetings, for parents of past years – focusing on the girls – if they want to play just girls or not.

U10 – talking with other associations – busy recruiting.  Need 5 – 6 more players so we can have 2 teams.

 

Initiation Coordinator: Cheryl Mason:

The initiation had coaches as referees and participated in a jamboree – this was the first time.  Had a good time and experience.

It was a good year – this past season.  Was able to collect money from those who had dropped out. 

Want ideas for promotion and generating advertising.

Had or will have  -  meeting with coaches from last season to see what worked and what didn’t and get a start on planning what to do next season.

We have pretty good numbers compared to the other associations in TC – (talking about Initiation numbers of course)

How about a marketing task force for the upcoming Stockyard Days?  Create a booth promoting IYHA.

 

District Representative: Tom Welty.–

Thanks to Randy Bortot for attending the district meeting as Tom wasn’t able to make it.

There’s still talk about eliminating TC District.  There is an upcoming meeting in Pequot Lakes.  It’s not a dead issue at this time.

Congratulations to Travis Baker.  He was 1 of 3 from TC to make the Select 15 team in St. Cloud.

TC will revisit the Bantam situation after the summer – so we can come in with suggestions.  IYHA needs our own A Bantam team.  Tom sent out inquiries to all involved, and the consensus is that IYHA keeps its own A Bantam team.

 

A guest brought up the idea of MV and IYHA combining into one assoc. again.  This has been brought up and talked about – supposedly people are interested, but it seems to be a game of tag and no one really sits down and talks.

 

Equipment coordinator: Randy Bortot. Absent.

 

Registration Coordinator: Pat O’Connor:

Everything is good.  Will be getting dates out for registration.

 

Ice Commissioner: Renae Oleson:

Should be hearing from VMIA next week.  Same w/Super Rink.  Will hear from Fogerty in Aug.  Have had no replies from Columbia and Edison.  Ramsey County ice coming in June or July.  Forest Lake has closed its arena, which will put more competition for ice at Columbia and even SR.

 

Lake Region:

Income is down.  Champps is really hurting due to the smoking ban.  It has done nothing to remodel to retain customer base.  Mermaid and those that have remodeled are packed. 

Want to encourage IYHA and MVYHA  members to support Champps and let them know where you’re from when you are there.  Champps has an outdoor party each year.  Think it’s July 10th this year.  Please try to make it.  LR might try to have a raffle of some sort.  Cannot bring the pull tabs outside.

 

April 30 is end of fiscal year.

 

Always looking for new sites and sources of income.  There was something brought up that needs more investigation – ATM machines.  LR would have to maintain them and would make $3 or so per transaction.

 

Coon Rapids does not allow any outside groups.  Would have to partner with another charity in Coon Rapids if we want to pursue the new place going in on 10 (where Broadway Pizza was?)

 

Instead of meeting with a couple members of each board, will call a special meeting to meet with both boards regarding the tournament and the money situation.  It has been suggested that the money be run through LR.  LR would take no money and would give the profit 50/50 to each assoc. as has been done.  It would enable LR to show another source of income.

 

Have put in request to get the Lake Region name off the Ramsey County ice contract. There is ongoing discussion regarding new sites.  Any ideas are welcome. 

Board meeting motion to adjourn (TW) (JF). Meeting adjourned.